Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Polka dot ruffle top

I have had this pinned for a very long time!!  I finally tackled it.  Not entirely happy with it, but it's pretty cute.

Tutorial:  Shwin & Shwin - I started from a blouse pattern in Ottobre magazine (Verena blouse, I think Ottobre Autumn 4/2011)
Fabric: Cotton polka dots from the remnant bin, white cotton, ruffles of white crinkle cotton or gauze, also remnant
Notions: buttons, twill tape for size tag, narrow bias tape for hem facing, ribbon, interfacing
I think it's a size 2T based on how it fits her now... I based my pattern pieces on a size 80 to fit her this summer, but I think this one may run wide. It's a bit big on her...

The ruffles are 1.5" strips of crinkle cotton, folded in half to avoid hemming. I just ran the raw edges together through the serger, then pulled up on the needle threads to gather, so finishing, hemming, and gathering in one go!

I think I'd be happier with it if I'd made the smaller size bodice, and also either extended the polka dot side of the bodice more than I did. It looks more off-centre than asymmetrical... Also probably should have tried to make the overskirt part stop where the bodice of that colour stops.

The top ruffle on the skirt part ended up being just a touch to low to catch the serged edge in the waist seam, so I used a little white ribbon to cover it. Also, planning ahead for hem allowance would have been good. I cut the skirt part and facing to have 1/4" seam allowance, and matched it to the back skirt piece. Which left just the 1/4" for hem all around. SO I used some narrow single-fold white bias tape as a hem facing. No topstitching visible anywhere - hand-stitched the back of the hem, and machine-stitched the front hem under the ruffles.  I understitched the neck facing. Whew!


  1. [...] of thesnugbug. Worked out perfectly. The ruffles are from the leftovers of the white gauze I used here (from the remnant bin), and the skirt itself is more white quilters’ cotton. I cut the [...]