Thursday, November 26, 2015

French Press Cozy and a book review

Deby from So Sew Easy asked me to review the book Stitch 'n Swap - find my review over at So Sew Easy this morning. As part of my review I tried out the book's pattern for a cute cozy to keep my second cup of french press coffee warm.

See more photos of this fun little cozy and the book review over at So Sew Easy.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Sag Cinchers Tutorial & It's a Snap - how to use KAMsnaps

First I want to mention my article today over on So Sew Easy. If you've ever been interested in trying out these handy plastic snaps, check out how to install them and also see a number of ideas on where they can be used!  Scroll down to find my tutorial to make Sag Cinchers.

Speaking of snaps: Years ago I posted a quick tutorial for making Sag Cinchers, my variation of those little elastic half-belts that help to hold up droopy drawers. That was on my old blog and it's not so easy to find anymore, so for those who have been asking, here it is again. Hope this tutorial comes in handy! I've used ours for over 5 years and they are still going strong. They even helped to keep maternity or transition pants on this mama!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Roses for another wedding

Another sister is getting married toward the end of the month! I finally got brave and tackled the Candy Castle Peppermint Swirl Dress pattern that's been on my wishlist since before Abigail was even walking!

I made the size 3 slim, with the size 4 length and size 4 skirt. I also altered the armholes a bit, as a quick muslin showed that they would be much too deep on my skinny girl. The other modification I made was to change the neckline. The scalloped neck was too deep and the scallops in this size really didn't suit her shape.

My pretty sweetheart! I used just 12 flounces instead of 14, as I just had three colours. Just cut the width at the top of each flounce a bit wider to keep about the same amount of gathering all around. Still makes a full circle - she loves it!

One of my favourite parts, the rolled serger hem. Made it a very fast finish.

The back - I had the perfect buttons in my button box - ivory-coloured with roses engraved on them.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Yellow & Blue Wedding!

My husband's sister got married in March. Two of our kids were in the bridal party, along with two other little people, so I got to do some fun sewing!

The other flower girl's mom and I used Vogue 7819 to make the two flower girl dresses. The dress has an organza overlay, a partial circle underskirt with a netting sewn on for volume, pleated sash, and invisible zipper. The satin was a little tricky to work with, but the result was so cute!

I'm blogging over at Sew So Easy with techniques on working with sheer fabrics today. Click over to check out more details on construction of the dress.

I used the Dapper Lad pattern by Ellie Inspired to make the vests for Benjamin and the other ring bearer (wait, I guess they were actually sign bearers!), and this pattern, scaled down a little and with a slide at the back for the bowties.

Hamming it up during the official photos - that's my handsome almost 6-year-old on the left!

Of course Ian needed a matching tie - I used a white on yellow polka dot for the tie tip, just for fun.

And a shot of the family together! My dress happened to match the bridal party, and my husband was in the party, so nice & matchy matchy.  :)

While I was working on the vests I took a couple of photos - thought I'd share them for tips on working with satin - look for a post very soon!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Haven Acres Blouse turned tunic

Here's another little garment I made for Abigail a couple of weeks ago. Finally getting around to posting my recent sewing.

I had some scraps of this gorgeous fabric leftover from the tunic I made myself a couple of years ago that has been begging to become a Haven Acres Blouse. This time I mixed things up a little and made the blouse into a longer sleeveless tunic with a combined neck and armhole facing. You can find my tutorial for creating and sewing this kind of facing over at Sew So Easy.

And one more photo, just because she's a goof and so cute and I love her!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Valencia Tunic - new release by Mouse House Creations

Recently I had the chance to test the new Valencia Tunic pattern for Mouse House Creations. Now that it has been released (and I have some time finally!) I can share!

I'm sharing a tutorial about working with sheer fabrics over at Sew Easy today - check it out to see some techniques and ideas you might not be familiar with to make working with lightweight fabrics simple.

The Valencia has an unique shaped yoke, a sweet little mandarin collar, soft gathers at the centre front and back, and a curved hem. The yoke can be made either lined or unlined, which also makes it a great pattern for choices like colour-blocking or a sheer lace top.

For this version I used a lightweight cotton silk and lined the yoke with the same fabric. I found the perfect pale blue pearlized shank buttons and to keep the delicate look, left the yoke free from topstitching.

I'm hoping to make a few more for this summer - such a sweet and breezy style to keep cool in! I think this version will be adorable with a pair of shorts too.