Thursday, August 23, 2012


My sister Julie's wedding was this past weekend.  I had such fun dressing my kids for this!

I made Abigail this dress. I love how it turned out!! The top is LionBrand Cotton-Ease, the skirt is satin brocade.


Not the best modeling shot - sorry!


Back detail:


A matching hairband for Abigail. I crocheted this flower and sewed it onto a piece of shiny fold-over elastic - nice & simple!


Matching bow ties for my boys. I used this tutorial from A Lemon Squeezy Home, and followed her suggestion to make it sturdier - I used fusible fleece inside. I did find the length of the strap was perfect for my 3-year-old, but not long enough for the 5-year-old. I just extended the velcro over the end to make it long enough.


The boys wore light blue oxford shirts with their bow ties, and black dress pants (sorry, no photos yet!). Last minute, I had a look at the pants, which they had never worn (too big), and realized Ian's had buttonhole elastic inside the waistband, but Benjamin's did not. There was no way they were going to stay up on his skinny hips, so I did a quick (ha!) fix. I removed the top-stitching on the waistband, cut slits on each side inside the waistband and hand-sewed buttonholes. There was a twitchy bit when I tried to remove the current elastic - it got caught and I tugged too hard and ripped the buttonhole further over the top edge of the waistband. That necessitated a little mending... I added a button on each side, then realized I was out of buttonhole elastic!  I ended up taking some non-roll elastic and cutting slits in it for a temporary fix. Worked great! Phew!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Paper explosion!

So... a while ago a friend hosted craft night at her place and showed us some card-making ideas - I was intrigued. (Repeating: Do. Not. Need. Another. Hobby.)  I came home with a few pretty cards, which I gave away very soon. Next time I "happened" to be at Michael's with a 40% off coupon, I bought a gorgeous pack of paper. They all coordinate and they're all double-sided which makes things easy!

And here's what I came up with:

I'm going to give them as a gift, so I included envelopes and made a sort of box for them out of paper from the same pack.

I may have just lost that one... I can see buying more packs of gorgeous papers like these, maybe more inks and some nice stamps... Thanks very much, Michelle!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Abigail's first birthday party!

Abigail's 1st birthday party was a success!! We had a dozen adults and 18 kids/babies in our backyard. I'm glad the play structure FIL built is done!

I made the Babies First Birthday Cake (Carrot Cake) here. Everyone loved it, though it was quite dense, more like a loaf than cake. Good thing I googled sodium-free baking soda before using the full amount they say in the recipe... I only had regular bk - the sodium-free you have to use 2x the amount! I did a 9x13" pan, cut it in half and did it two layers, then a large cupcake on top for her to smash. They had lemon buttercream and blueberries on top. The cupcake "wrapper" I just cut from a gift bag I had on hand that happened to be the perfect colour! :)


She was unhappy I didn't let her grab the candle.


"Really? I can grab? They never give me big stuff to eat!"


She didn't actually smash it, just got a little sticky and ate a bit of buttercream.


Sticky baby






This thing was impossible to break open. Next time, must use masking tape instead of duct tape... I found the tutorial here! Of course, last minute (well, day before). I couldn't resist. It's so cute. Plus all the older kids had a great time with it.


Precious birthday girl! You may remember the ruffle skirt from a while ago. I had nothing to match it though, and couldn't find a plain blue tshirt anywhere in stores. So I grabbed an old cami of mine that was too short, used a tank dress of Abigail's to trace, and made her a new one during nap time yesterday. I reused the hems, cut 1.5" strips and folded for the neck/armhole edges, and used a piece of the skirt fabric for the 1.



Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Red & Aqua!

ETA - SHHHHH if you know her! I'm pretty sure she doesn't check my blog regularly...

ETA #2 - She likes them!


My sister is getting married in 10 days! She liked the coordinating kitchen stuff I made a while ago for a kitchen swap I was part of, so I promised I'd make her some things. We went fabric shopping together and she picked out Amy Hamberlin's "Genevieve" line.

Here's what she's getting tonight at her shower:


Potholders with InsulBrite inside. Both wonky log cabin blocks, one a full and one a quarter block.


Backs (just because I think they look interesting!) Ignore the somewhat bumpy binding. :/


Table runner, my own design based on the Dresden plate template. I don't have a walking foot, and I didn't want it to have a lot of loft, so I just did a layer of flannel in the centre instead of batting. Worked surprisingly well, as the flannel was grabby and kept the layers from shifting.


Two topped towels (loosely followed tutorial here)


Valance for the kitchen window. Pretty basic, except I tried an exciting new-to-me technique for the hems! I sandwiched the raw edge of the main fabric top between the two raw edges of the hem fabric, rolling the extra width of the main fabric up to fit between. Then sewed those three edges together, and turned the tube right side out! No pressing under and topstitching needed. Sort of hard to picture - next time I do it I'll take a photo.


And my friend Suzanne from Making More With Less used the smallest print along with some other coordinating fabrics to make an apron for her! So not matchy-matchy, but still goes together.