Sunday, September 28, 2014

Birdie Dress Coat

I've had this fabric for 2 years - finally got up the courage to tackle a coat for Abigail.

The pattern is called Lintunen, #9 from Ottobre Kids magazine, Winter 6/2012. I used Abigail's measurements to choose the size, cutting size 80 for width and 92 for length. The outer fabric is fuchsia velour, with a lining of cotton poplin, an interlining of microfleece, and a vest interlining of Thinsulate.

I used the birdie design included with the pattern, with three strands of silver embroidery floss. The bows and waist trimming are velvet ribbon. I've never done a zipper shield before and had to sort of guess because the directions were a touch sparse.

I love the length on Abigail. It should easily keep her quite warm for all but the coldest winter days. The only sad part is that the hood is too small for her head, in part because I didn't realize I needed seam allowance on the front of the hood, but also just because her head is so big!

The only real alteration I made to this pattern was to add ribbed cuffs to keep her wrists draft-free, instead of the cased elastic the pattern calls for. (this same idea would work to add cuffs to a ready made coat too!) I took a few quick photos of how I did the cuffs. I cut cuffs to fit her wrist, about 3" long when doubled. Where the pattern calls for the edges of the lining and outer sleeves to be sewn right sides together, I just sandwiched my double-layered cuff between, and pinned with all raw edges together.

Sewn together:

Once turned right side out through the opening in the lining, the longer outer fabric blouses over the ribbed cuff.

View of the lining side:

Little missy is very pleased with her new birdie coat, so I am too!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Selfish Blue Roses - A Dress for Me

Well, this week is Selfish Sewing Week, so I knew I'd be dropping my "must sew" list for at least one selfish project. We'll see if any others happen, but in the meantime, I'm super pleased with my latest dress!

I bought this soft single jersey several years ago when I was expecting Abigail, meaning to make a pretty maternity top or something, then ended up on bedrest not needing much more than a lovely hospital gown. Since then, it's beckoned to me several times, until I recently found the perfect pattern to show off the beautiful print - the Wear Everywhere Dress by So Sew Easy. Free pattern too!

The pattern printed perfectly and the dress went together as if it'd been meant for this fabric. The only adjustments I made were cutting between sizes 4 and 5 to fit my measurements, and adding 2.5" to the length to suit my height. I used wooly nylon in the bobbin with a straight stitch to topstitch and understitch at the neck. The tricky part was getting the neckline to lie flat. The weight of the facing wanted to make it gape a little. At first I was going to stabilize it by sewing in some Lastin but I'm clear out. I ended up handsewing a line of running stitches along the inside edge from shoulder seam to shoulder seam for a little stability. 

The fit is perfect and it feels so comfy! BUT I think this may be my "goal" dress for now... unless I find some spanx! lol No room for mummy tummy in here! :D

(UPDATE: My goal comment was a bit of a joke slash snide commentary on myself - I'm not really that self-conscious about it [or at least I try not to let it bother me] Thank you, all my wonderful friends telling me to just rock this dress!! )

Monday, September 1, 2014

Bombshell Bathing Suit

I didn't think this one would happen yet this summer, and then I had an unexpected whole free day before our lake vacation. I printed and assembled the pattern 9am and worked most of the day on it, and another hour the next evening finished it, just on time for the lake!

Pattern: Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files
Fabric: Tricot Satin Matte Nylon Spandex
Lining: Satin Milliskin Nylon Spandex Lining, both from Girl Charlee (referral link)
Size: 12 waist/hips, tapering to 10 at the bust

Mods: I added 1.5" in length to both front and back to accommodate my long torso. Also used 80% negative ease on the elastic around the top of the suit and on the front "skirt" part to keep from gaping. Inside I added cups from a cheap bikini.

Fits perfectly - first swimsuit ever to fit so well! I was so impressed with the pattern and directions and the sewalong covers any point that needed clarification.

The fabric was amazing to sew with - now I know this suit pattern works on me, I may just need to stock up on some more colours from Girl Charlee! I could see a bright red one, black, gray....