Wednesday, April 24, 2013

KCW Day 2 (1/2)

Definitely more than one hour yesterday. I had naptime to sew in, then a quiet evening, so more like 3 hours. But --

I made this top, based on the lining of an Ottobre dress, still trying to figure out a woven top for my big-headed kid so I can do the Wellen tank.



It turned out beautiful - the only issue is, I did not do the keyhole opening at the back deep enough, so it still doesn't go over her head... Of course I found that out after naptime, when I had already neatly bound the neck and opening edges with narrow bias tape, a lovely job, if I may say so.  Guess this one goes back on the pile to fix.

Details:
Pattern self-drafted, based on the lining of Ottobre Winter 6/2012, #7
Fabric: Slightly textured cotton, narrow purchased bias tape


 

Then came this white on white ruffle petticoat I've been wanting to make for a while. I got it all but the waistband done yesterday - whipped that on this morning (hence Day 2 1/2). I figure it will fit her a while, as a skirt, or under skirts or dresses.


I love how it turned out! Hopefully can add some modeling pics later - she is in a mood now.  It's a 3/4 circle skirt. I used the amazing circle skirt calculator by Patty of thesnugbug. Worked out perfectly. The ruffles are from the leftovers of the white gauze I used here (from the remnant bin), and the skirt itself is more white quilters' cotton that I've been using up for linings, trims, and facings. I cut the ruffles selvedge to selvedge, so I  just overlapped the ends of each strip and did a rolled hem on my serger on each edge. The waistband is a casing of soft interlock with 3/4" wide elastic enclosed.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment