This morning I whipped together this little pleated skirt in the space of about 1/2hr! I didn't use a pattern - I based it on the sizing of a pair of 12mo pants. The camo is a medium-weight twill from my stash. I have no idea how it'll fit - looks maybe like 18-24 mo? Here's approximately what I did:
- measured the waist, cut an interlock waistband slightly shorter and 3.5" wide, cut a piece of foldover elastic a half inch shorter.
- serged the short ends together, right sides facing, with the elastic about 3/8" from the bottom edge, then folded the waistband with elastic inside.
- took the hip measurement of the pants, multiplied by 1.5 for skirt width, and measured down the pants for an approximate length.
- sewed the sides together, then made 1" deep pleats on the front and back, starting from the centre out, to approximately fit the waistband (left a few inches for stretching room).
- serged the waistband on, right sides facing, raw edges together.
- For the hem, I cut a strip of the purple stripes 2" wide by the width of the skirt and seam allowances (thanks for the stripes, Suzanne!). I sewed the short edges together, then folded it in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and pressed. I matched the raw edges of the strip and skirt hem, right sides together, serged, then pressed the strip down on the outside.
- pressed the pleats flat on the outside, all the way down to the hem.
The gray dress is another variation on the Sweet Little Dress.
- size: 12 months
- fabric: random bottomweight from my stash - gray with flowers, reverses to solid gray
- mods: I cut the centre front of the front dress piece a couple of inches narrower, then cut a rectangle to fit the space, about 1.5 times the length of the dress. I gathered the rectangle on both edges and sewed in between the two front dress pieces, with the reverse side of the gray to the outside. The rest of the dress as per the pattern, except that on the sleeves I flipped the casing to the outside to show the gray reverse.
This fabric was a little too heavy to try this with. Gathering it evenly was really hard - the fabric has a lot of body and not much drape. I love the way it looks, but will remember to use lighter fabric if I want to try this again.